Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Review - Shakespeare Burning by Charisse Moritz

This has been one of my absolute Favorite books of the year!


Shakespeare BurningShakespeare Burning by Charisse Moritz

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

 You can purchase it from Amazon HERE

Synopsis: He’s the boy who wants to disappear.

One mistake and seventeen-year-old Shake LeCasse lost everything. Now there’s no going back and no way to move forward. The once-popular Varsity hockey captain is living in the basement of a grandmother he barely knows, ditching school, avoiding friends and working hard on self-destruction.

She’s the girl nobody sees.

Cleo Lee survives however she can. Lie, cheat, steal, whatever it takes, and saving Mr. Popular isn’t part of the plan. Telling him the truth about the night that destroyed his life is downright dangerous. She needs to keep quiet, be smart and let the guy she’s been half in love with since middle school throw away a future she’d do anything to have. Too bad she sucks at playing it safe.


My Thoughts: Shakespeare Burning has been one of my favorite reads this year! I had a hard time getting into the first chapter but after that everything really picked up and it became hard to put down.

It's hard to believe this was a debut from the author because I feel she nailed it! Whether you like young adult or not it's hard not to feel the pain and anguish of the main characters as Shakespeare and Cleo's story unfolds. We rotate chapters between them unleashing their feelings about each other and trying to deal with their own separate problems of abuse and tragedy . Problems that no teenager should have to go thru.

A few times the emotions run so high I came close to grabbing my tissue box. When a work of fiction can cause that...well that's saying something all in itself!

Favorite Quote from Shakespeare Burning: "She mangles a laugh. “Don’t sell me taco farts in a bottle and call it perfume."

*I was given a copy of this book from the author for an honest review.


View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. your review definitely has me curious and i do love that cover
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete