Sunday, March 4, 2012

Review - Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins
Released: February 1, 2011
Publisher: Hyperion Book
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 352 pages
Format: Paperback
Source: Bought
Rating: 5/5
Author Site: Rachel Hawkins
Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It’s gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie’s estranged father—an elusive European warlock—only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it’s her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.
I finally got the chance to pull this remarkable book off my TBR shelf and I enjoyed it sooo much! I Love the covers for this series! It's a mixture of teenage angst with a sliver of comedy and a side of oh my God I have super powers! Sophie can't stay out of trouble no matter how hard she tries and it seems the more she tries the bigger the trouble she does get into! I felt so sorry for her in the beginning of the book because she just seemed a bit sad and lonely and never having really had any contact with her father her whole life has hurt her more than she lets on but then after constantly beeing bullied in her new school she begins to come out of her shell and fight back a bit and by the end of Hex Hall she is able to stand up for herself and has some tough decisions to make that will change her life forever.

Hex Hall won't dissappoint you especially if you like the lighter fluffier paranormal stories. It was just a totally quick lighthearted fun read and the set up for book two which is Demon Glass sounds just as awesome so I have to grab it now so I can continue and see what Sophie does next.

One of my favorite quotes from the story:

“Good luck explaining to God that you used to spank one of his heavenly beings."
Mom gave a startled laugh. "Sophie!"
"What? You did. I hope you like hot weather, Mom, that's all I'm saying.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment