Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Review - The Veil by Cory Putman Oakes

The Veil by Cory Putman Oakes
Released: November 1, 2011
Publisher: Octane Press
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 288 pages
Format: Paperback
Source: Author/Goodreads Win
Rating: 4/5
Author Site: Cory Putman Oakes
Seventeen-year-old Addison Russell is in for a shock when she discovers that she can see the invisible world of the Annorasi. Suddenly, nothing is as it appears to be--the house she lives in, the woman who raised her, even the most beautiful boy in town all turn out to be more than what they seem. And when this strange new world forces Addy to answer for a crime that was committed long ago, by parents she has never known, she has no choice but to trust Luc, the mysterious Annorasi who has been sent to protect her. Or so he says . . .
The Veil is an AWESOME debut and I enjoyed reading such a unique story that had no hint of vampire , werewolf, or anything of the sort. Don't get me wrong those are my favorite stories but every now and again its refreshing to find something new that interests me and tickles my fancy.

I couldn't get enough of the relationship between Addy and Luc and it was just a sweet young romance that the reader felt compelled to cheer on. The friend relationships were well played but I would have liked to have seen more action between Addy and Emily. Maybe even a catfight over Luc?

The Veil made me laugh but also got me to thinking about secrets and how deadly they can actually be and how true that old saying really can be about "what they don't know can't hurt them".

The only thing that I really didn't like about The Veil is actually the cover. I know it is supposed to represent the bridge from the story but it doesn't scream pick me up at me. I know I am not supposed to judge a book by its cover but I can't help it! I like pretty covers and this one is just boring to me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment