Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Guest Post From My Mama’s Kitchen By Johnny Tan


Synopsis:

From My Mama’s Kitchen book is dedicated to the realization and mastery of the power of unconditional love as potent leadership. It offers a wealth of wisdom, practical living skills, and effective communication techniques. The book reveals 30 timeless recipes for living, ranging from the power of relationships to the nature of love and the meaning of life brought to the reader in the nurturing comfort of a kitchen setting. From the virtue of spiritual awareness to self-actualization, Johnny Tan’s 9 moms have nourished him with their wisdom to become a person defined by his thoughts and actions.

Released with the endorsement of the National Association of Mothers’ Centers, the book has won five awards: Mom’s Choice Awards, Mr. Dad Seal of Recognition, Publisher’s Choice Awards by Family Magazine Group, International Book Awards, and National Indie Excellence Book Awards. The book also made the Amazon Best Seller List in the following categories: Parenting & Family Relationships: Parent and Adult Child, Self Help: Spiritual and Motivational, and Cooking, Food & Wine: Essay.

Designed as a keepsake for all occasions, meant to last and inspire forever. The book has a dedication page for readers to inscribe their own loved one’s name, and a space where readers can record their recipes for living. At the end of the book, Johnny incorporates nine of his favorite food recipes. Amazon Purchase Link

Mother’s Day From My Mama’s Kitchen By Johnny Tan

The Mother’s Day that we celebrate today tracks back to ancient times. A spring festival dedicated to the maternal, Greek goddess arose, honoring Rhea, wife of Cronus and mother of many deities in Greek mythology. The Romans used their spring festival, Hilaria, as a dedication to Cybele, a mother goddess. Early Christians celebrated the fourth Sunday
of Lent in honor of the Virgin Mary, the Mother of Christ. England later designated it to be Mothering Sunday, to honor all mothers.

Although Mother’s Day is now celebrated around the world, the modern version is actually an American invention. Various observances honoring mothers existed in America during the 1870’s and 1880‘s. However, the modern Mother's Day was first celebrated in 1908, when Anna Jarvis held a memorial for her mother in America. She secured a trademark creating the Mother’s Day International Association in 1912. Thanks to her courageous effort, over 140 countries around the world honor Mother’s Day today. President Woodrow Wilson proclaimed the first official Mother’s Day on May 9, 1914.

From My Mama’s Kitchen –“food for the soul, recipes for living” celebrates what mothers do all over the world. Mothers everywhere share an abundance of unconditional love for their loved ones. The power of unconditional love transcends all religious beliefs, genders, cultures and ages. It reminds us that we are all part of the bigger world, and we all have potential to succeed in life.

In 1999 I decided to pay homage to my 9 moms by composing a book that represented a collection of recipes from my moms. I called the collection, “From My Mama’s Kitchen – food for the soul, recipes for living.” It was still another seven years before I saw my vision. In 2007 the vision crystallized into a theme that provided a basis for a powerful message. I started writing about timeless recipes for living, which I recalled from the wisdom my 9 moms shared with me rather than food recipes. I kept the title because the kitchen is the heart of every home and it was where my moms and I had our heartfelt conversations.

How did I manage to have 9 moms, you ask? Most of the time, before I have a chance to answer, people would follow up with, “Is it a blessing or a curse?” My answer is always a blessing, a tremendous blessing. Adopted at birth by my Malaysian mom, I spent the first 18 years learning from her. Among the many things she taught me, everyone of us holds a seed of greatness—the key to success in life. The gem of this seed is the asset that develops our dreams, goals and wishes. At 18 I came to the United States to attend Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge. Here is where I began to meet my eight other moms one at a time over a period of the next 18 years. Starting with the first, my Southern Belle mom, Eleanora Carter, to the last, my German mom, Dianne Heise, they were my teachers, coaches, and counselors, always available to listen to my ideas and console me during need. Most of my 9 moms have since passed away, but each of them has left me with a valuable lesson that collectively formed the basis of my success.

Many look forward to this Mother’s Day with anticipation to express love for their mom. Whether it is an expensive gift or a just a nice dinner that mom doesn’t have to cook, she will know it was from the heart. Mothers have a way to mould the soul and guide the heart. For those whose mothers have passed on, Mother’s Day gives us a chance to recall those magical loving moments. It is this unconditional motherly love that makes us who we are. With 30 timeless recipes for living ranging from the power of relationships to the nature of love and meaning of life, the book provides skills and wisdom to assist us to become better teachers, coaches and counselors to our loved ones.


About Johnny:

Johnny Tan lived a life of unconditional love for the last 33 years. His journey began when he started college in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Adopted at birth by his Malaysian mom, he realized the rich spiritual connections that resulted from meeting his foster mom in Poplar Bluff, Missouri, and 7 other women who would play important roles in his life. They represented his teachers, coaches, and counselors. Guided by his business achievements and his 9 moms, Johnny experienced the passion to compose From My Mamaʼs Kitchen to honor his moms and mothers everywhere. Released with the endorsement of the National Association of Mothers’ Centers, the book has won five awards and made the Amazon Best Seller List in several categories.

0 comments:

Post a Comment