Sunday, October 9, 2011

Review - Ninth Grade Slays by Heather Brewer

Ninth Grade Slays by Heather Brewer
Released: April 17, 2008
Publisher: Dutton Juvenile
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 288 pages
Format: Hardback
Source: Library
Author Site: Heather Brewer
Vladimir Tod wants to be popular like his friend Henry and cool and carefree like Henry's cousin Joss. He would so enjoy putting bullies Tom and Bill, who have been tormenting him for years, in their place. And, of course, he longs to tell Meredith about his feelings for her. All of this should really be a piece a cake for him. He is, after all, the only vampire "living" in Bathory, and he possesses extraordinary powers.
I had to take a few days to gather my thoughts on this book before reviewing it because for the most part I really must admit I am deeply dissappointed in Vlad. I'm not used to reading about wimpy whiny vampires and that is just how I felt about him. I kept gritting my teeth everytime I read he let the bullies bully him and then poor Meredith...she really really likes Vlad and he likes her but he is just so ignorant and wont even talk to her! I mean if I liked somebody I would at least try to express myself to them a bit to see if the feeling was mutual. He was always kinda sitting on the sidelines in Henry,his best friends shadow and complaining because he was not as popular as his friend and I was like well dude get a grip, jack up them bullies, kiss that girl, and quit your boohooing! Yes thats another thing...I have never heard tell of a guy crying so much in my life and he's supposed to be a vampire which made it just ughh for me.

It was really pretty predictable yet..something kept me reading so I can't say I disliked the entire book. In all honesty I had a hard time putting it down! Maybe I kept waiting on Vlad to get a backbone or to see if he got the girl in the end? It did introduce some interesting characters like Eddie who is determined to expose Vlad and Joss who is Henry's cousin. I do believe the plot is thickening up for book three and I have heard the series only gets better so maybe I will pick up book three and see how it goes before I totally give up on Vlad.

0 comments:

Post a Comment