Sunday, November 20, 2011

Review- Island Girls and Boys by Rachel Hawthorne


Island Girls and Boys by Rachel Hawthorne

Released: June 1, 2005
Publisher: HarperTeen
Age Group: Young Adult
Format: paperback
Source: Bought
Rating: 4/5
Author Site: Rachel Hawthorne


Date: July 4
Rental type: 2-person sailboat
Rented by: Jen Taylor and Dylan Nelson
Rental time: 8:15 p.m.
Destination: Out to sea!
Life jackets: 2
Time back: ??? Don't wait up!


Fresh out of High School these 3 BFF's plan to spend there summer on a remote island before they say there goodbyes and head off to different colleges at the end of the summer.. Jennifer got them all summer jobs at the Coastal Campground Resorts to help pay there share of the uittilies and grocery costs while staying in her grandparents house.

I started reading this book and couldn't put it down! I got so caught up in the characters and there little tantrums. I can't say that I like one more than the other because they all have a quality that I can relate to in my younger and now self. Jennifer is a take charge kind of gal and like me I have to have things a certain way. I defiantly don't like changes of any sorts. Amy is more tender hearted and brings in all types of strays(cat,dogs,oh and um mm guys) and always in the middle of Jen's and Chell's squabbles. I feel for Amy because I know what it's like to have to keep the peace. I do it all the time with my youngsters...and Miss Chelsea; what a total drama queen, but she gets it honestly. She's the baby in her family and yes I'm the baby in mine. I had my moments and I still do lol. Anyhow Chelsea has a boyfriend (Noah one of the unexpected things) and she ends up spending all her time with him during their summer of independence. Jen doesn't approve of Noah staying with them and not partaking in his share of the costs. I have to agree I would be hot too but soon Jen finds something to take her mind off the matter at hand altogether when none other than a sexy blue eyed boy named Dylan comes into her life. Dylan's just a passerby also looking to have a good time before he goes off into the army. Unexpected things start to happen between Jen and Dylan. One he will be leaving soon and two they starting to fall in love with each other. What will the out come be???? Will Dylan stay with Jen until he has to go or will he just pack up and leave her heart broken??? Well whatever the outcome it's one summer they all will never forget.....

Jennifer, Amy, and Chelsea learns a valuable lesson during their time spent living together. They all learn that living together is not as easy as they expected it to be. It's not easy living on your own and they found that out real quick..Can there friendship withstand all the unexpected changes that's coming on the horizon???

3 comments:

  1. I read this book over the summer. I have all of Hawthornes books and even Clarks. I love these little reads. I really enjoyed this one. It was cute and cheesey, like they generally are. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree this one sounds really good Wendy! I enjoyed her book Thrill Ride!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank's for the comments,yeah most Young Adult books are a bit cheesy,you know how teenagers are,they keep my eyeballs a rolling. LOL All in all it was a pretty good book. I'm most def gonna read more of her books.

    ReplyDelete