Thursday, June 7, 2012

Gimme's Blogger Love Shout Outs - James

For this Shout Out I have James from Book Chic Club answering a few interview questions. He was one of the first book blogs I ran across when I began blogging and I really enjoy his site. He shares a wealth of info on books & blogging and occasionally he will even post some really cute pictures of his adorable cats. Pop over and check out James blog. You wont be disappointed. Thank you James for taking time to answer my questions.


1--Will you share a photo of at least one of the following...your bookcase, your desk, your favorite reading spot.

I've attached a photo of two of my bookcases and the surrounding madness (plus some of my music collection). I did a bit of cleaning to make it look more presentable, but it still needs lots of work. I'm gonna have to devote an afternoon to organizing everything. There are two piles though on the floor of finished copies that will be donated to my library, so those will be out of my hair soon enough!




2--In Twitter Style tell us about yourself.

To make sure it's 140 characters, I went to Twitter and wrote this: "James is an adult who loves YA. He's been reviewing for almost 5 years now. He also enjoys writing, sleeping, watching TV and kissing boys." Done in 139 characters!

3--Share one of the biggest blogging myths you have discovered since you started blogging. (For example...its easy, not time consuming, ect...)

I'm gonna steal one of your examples and go with "it's easy" (which also ties into "not time consuming"). I can tell you that it's not easy. It is fun though, which makes the hard work worthwhile. People just seem to think that it's just lazing about, enjoying a book (or not enjoying), and then putting random thoughts up on the internet. When I am reading, I am enjoying the story but I'm also thinking about it critically so it's not just pleasure reading. Then I have to put my thoughts into some coherent style to be posted. Aside from reading, there's also working on blog layouts, connecting with authors and publishers and building relationships, coming up with interview questions and guest post ideas. Blogging is a job pretty much and I wish I were paid for it. Anyone can be a book blogger, but it takes hard work and dedication to be a GREAT book blogger.

4--One of my favorite books so far this year has been Starters by Lissa Price. If you decided to rent your body out what is the biggest fear you would have of what the renter would use your body for?

Kissing girls. LOL. But seriously, I probably wouldn't want them doing felonies and stuff like that. I don't wanna come back and find myself in prison or on the run from the law. Though I'm sure there's restrictions on things like that in Starters, which I've yet to read though it's in my TBR pile!

5--Do you have a special system for shelfing your books? Please share. (For example..do you shelf them by author, alphabetically, by color, ect..)

Mostly, no. I think when I'm somewhere more permanent and have lots of real bookshelves, I'd go by author. But for now, books are just kinda everywhere. I do organize my ARCs by date though so I know what's coming up.

6--Choose an answer.

Mexican or Chinese? Chinese (though I really enjoy my mom's tortillas)
Book or Movie? Book
Flowers or Candy? Candy DUH!
Car or Pick-up? Car
Pink or Purple? Hmmmm... I'll go with purple.
Fantasy or Horror? Fantasy (I am way too easily scared, but I do watch the occasional scary movie)
Hot Weather or Cold? Cold because a) no bugs around and b) I can cuddle up with a cute guy for warmth. :D


7--You have been placed in charge of my birthday cake. What kind of cake will I be having? (Feel free to share recipe)

No recipe here. I am not a cook, so most likely you'd get a store bought cake. Not sure if you'd like it or not, but I'd probably get Coldstone's Cookies n Creamery (http://www.coldstonecreamery.com/cakes/signature_cakes.html). It is absolutely delicious!

8--So it's my birthday and you want to give me a book as a gift. What book would you give me and why?

A signed copy of Starters by Lissa Price because you loved the book so much! Honestly though, I have no idea. I'd probably just get you a gift card, or bring you with me to the store and have you pick whatever. I'm not good at gifts for anyone!

9--Any advice or inspiration for newbie bloggers?

Just keep working on your blog and making it the best it can be. Keep your mind open to new ideas and stay attentive to what your readers like, but don't let them boss you around. It's still your blog and you have final say on what you do or don't post. Use social networking like Twitter and get in touch with other bloggers, authors and publishers. Leave thoughtful comments on blog posts you like from other bloggers and they'll check out your blog. But most of all, have fun! If things become too much, take a break from it all and just relax until you're ready again. If your followers are true, they'll still be there when you get back.

3 comments:

  1. I'm surprised the stack of books is still standing and hasn't fallen over. Thanks for one great interview.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you talking about the one next to the bookcase? That's actually a spine bookcase and not a bunch of books stacked on top of each other. There's about 4/5 books per level. I love it cuz it holds so many books and is very slim, so it doesn't take up much room.

      Delete
  2. Great interview, James. Your answer to what you'd get Jennifer for her b-day was so sweet.

    ReplyDelete