Monday, February 27, 2012

Review - Dirty Little Secrets by C. J. Omololu

Dirty Little Secrets by C. J. Omololu
Released: March 15, 2011
Publisher: Walker Childrens
Age Group: Adult
Pages: 224 pages
Format: Paperback
Source: Bought
Rating: 4/5
Author Site: C. J. Omololu
Everyone has a secret. But Lucy's is bigger and dirtier than most. It's one she's been hiding for years-that her mom's out-of-control hoarding has turned their lives into a world of garbage and shame.
Dirty Little Secrets was a story that made me want to run thru my house and start filling trash bags although I am not even close to being what could be considered a hoarder. I can't imagine having to live like Lucy did with her moms addiction. This book was great and was a story that definately needs to be told but ewwww it just made me feel plum nasty and gross. How a parent can be this irresponsible to their childrens happiness and health or how it gets so bad that a child is so ashamed of their home they wont even call for help when it's needed.

I have went back and forth in my mind pondering what I would have done and I guess without having lived in that kind of shame and turmoil for all those years I have no clue if I would have handled things like Lucy did. I would like to sit here and say no way that I would have called 911 but I can also easily feel Lucy's pain and conflict and even sort of understand why she did as she did.

A must read...

0 comments:

Post a Comment