Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Review - Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson

Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson
Released: March 19, 2009
Publisher: Viking Juvenile
Age Group: Adult
Pages: 288 pages
Format: Hardback
Source: Bought
Rating: 5/5
Author Site: Laurie Halse Anderson
Lia and Cassie had been best friends since elementary school, and each developed her own style of eating disorder that leads to disaster. Now 18, they are no longer friends. Despite their estrangement, Cassie calls Lia 33 times on the night of her death, and Lia never answers.
So many times I wanted to fling this book at a wall while reading it. I wanted to yell at it, be mad, and hate it. I know your wondering how can that be when you gave it a 5/5 rating Jennifer? Quite simply is because it scared me, it made me cry, and it made me "feel". Laurie's books are strong and I wished they or some like them could have been around when I was a teenager. I needed them. My friends needed them. I mean basically when I was a teenager all we had was Dr Seuss and other typical "happy" feely books and as much as I adored Dr Seuss he didn't help a dang bit with our growing pains.

Wintergirls is a powerful book as was Speak and I think it offers a bit of something for anybody not just teens who suffer from most any type of disorder or depression. Laurie has a unique voice and gift to get her point across on disturbing subject matter in a way that offers the reader strength and hope and lets one know that they are not alone and things can be better.

0 comments:

Post a Comment