Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Review - Immortal Beloved by Cate Tiernan

Immortal Beloved by Cate Tiernan
Released: January 2, 2012
Publisher: Poppy
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 432 pages
Format: Paperback
Source: Bought
Rating: 5/5
Author Site: Cate Tiernan
Nastasya has spent the last century living as a spoiled, drugged-out party girl. She feels nothing and cares for no one. But when she witnesses her best friend, a Dark Immortal, torture a human, she realizes something's got to change. She seeks refuge at a rehab for wayward immortals, where she meets the gorgeous, undeniably sexy Reyn, who seems inexplicably linked to her past.
Cate Tiernan is one of my favorite authors. I Loved her Sweep Series! With that being said when I began reading Immortal Beloved I started feeling a bit let down at first. It's not that I didn't like this story it's just I think I had expected it to resemble The Sweep Series and it so totally doesn't! Have no worries though I quickly fell into Immortal Beloved and hated to put it down. It was incredible! I have read so many books about immortal beings but not once had I really given thought to what it would actually be like to be immortal and have to basically reinvent yourself over and over as if your a new person which is what has happened to Nastasya. She has lived so long and suffered so many painful memories that she has shut herself off from "feeling" but deep inside she still has a sense for what she feels is right and wrong so when her closest friend hurts a mortal she takes steps to try to find herself and hopes that being immortal has more to offer than this.

I bonded to Nastasya really quickly and just adored her character. She has spunk but she also has an inner pain and troubled spirit that makes her even more real in my eyes. I wasn't just reading her story...I could at times feel her pain in her memories especially thru the flashbacks of her family and their demise. I yearn for her to find peace and happiness and I want her and Reyn to hook up so badly because he has had a tortured past it seems as well and they would really be so great together.

I just really ate this book up and think Cate has done another remarkable job in this new series and look forward to the rest of the story!

2 comments:

  1. I have never read anything by Cate Tiernan, but I know I have this one sitting on Mount TBR. I think I may have to bump it up my pile now after your review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh she is just awesome! Check out her Sweep series! I am gonna reread them soon and review those. I read them a while back before I started reviewing and need to refresh on them.

    ReplyDelete