Thursday, September 8, 2011

Review - How to Ditch Your Fairy by Justine Larbalestier

How to Ditch Your Fairy by Justine Larbalestier
Released: September 29, 2009
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Childrens
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 336 pages
Format: Paperback
Source: Bought
Author Site: Justine Larbalestier
Though invisible, a personal fairy is vital to success in New Avalon. It might determine whether you pass a math class or find the perfect outfit. But all fourteen-year-old Charlie can do is find parking spaces—and she doesn’t even drive. At first, teaming up with Fiorenza (who has an all-the-boys-like-you fairy) seems like a great idea. But when Charlie unexpectedly gets her heart’s desire, she’ll have to resort to extraordinary measures to ditch her fairy.
This was a quick fun read that totally got me thru my readers block! Thruout the entire book I was trying to figure out just what kind of fairy I would love to be in possession of and think I narrowed it down to either a loose change fairy or a shopping fairy so when I find something I want it would automatically go on sale!

When the book opens Charlie was complaining that her "spoffs" looked funny in the shirt she had on and I was like umm okayy what is this language because that was one I had never heard used to describe the female boobies before and then found several more new words I enjoyed liked doos which basically means something is very cool! (Don't fret there is a glossary in back!) Charlie was a really fun character to read about because no matter how hard she tried to be "good" the fates just seemed to work against her as she piled up demerit after demerit and soon has so many she can't play sports and has to do community service. She blames all her troubles on her parking fairy and thinks everything will be so much better if she had another fairy. Then opportunity knocks and she trades fairies with another girl who wants to be rid of her fairy which is an every boy loves me fairy and they both soon find themselves in even deeper messes like now Charlie can't be for sure if her crush Stefan really likes her for her or if it's the new fairy!

I hated for this book to end. It was just hilarious! On a more serious side though I feel like I saw Charlie grow up a good bit within these pages as she realized that everything was not always sunny and bright on the other side and sometimes one should just be thankful for what they have cause it could always be so much worse!

0 comments:

Post a Comment