Tuesday, August 16, 2022

Book Review - The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls

The Glass Castle

The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Synopsis:  The Glass Castle is a remarkable memoir of resilience and redemption, and a revelatory look into a family at once deeply dysfunctional and uniquely vibrant. When sober, Jeannette’s brilliant and charismatic father captured his children’s imagination, teaching them physics, geology, and how to embrace life fearlessly. But when he drank, he was dishonest and destructive. Her mother was a free spirit who abhorred the idea of domesticity and didn’t want the responsibility of raising a family.

The Walls children learned to take care of themselves. They fed, clothed, and protected one another and eventually found their way to New York. Their parents followed them, choosing to be homeless even as their children prospered.

 My Thoughts: I usually don't read much non-fiction or memoirs but as this one has been on my bookshelf for so very long and the opportunity arose for me to read it for a reading challenge I decided to jump on it and wow it was so very interesting observing Jeannette's life and bringing up.

My heart poured open for her and her siblings as it was a daily task for survival for them... never knowing where or if they would have a next meal or where they would be sleeping from night to night. She tells us stories of her alcoholic father and a mother who pretty much only cared about art supplies over caring for her family.

I was happy with the way she divided everything up into sections and then each part or segment was only a few pages long. I hate long chapters and so forth so this was awesome.



View all my reviews

0 comments:

Post a Comment