Monday, July 20, 2015

Review - Expiration Day by William Powell

Synopsis: What happens when you turn eighteen and there are no more tomorrows?

It is the year 2049, and humanity is on the brink of extinction…. Driven by the need to understand what sets teknoids apart from their human counterparts, Tania begins to seek answers. But time is running out. For everyone knows that on their eighteenth “birthdays,” teknoids must be returned to Oxted—never to be heard from again.

Review: I liked the overall story but I did feel as though there were a few holes here and there that could have been explained in a bit more detail like why are "human" females who are able to carry children taken from their families and never allowed to keep any of their children? I found that kind of harsh and made me feel like they were no better off than the teknoids in the story no matter if they were pampered where they wound up. I don't see where being a birthing cow would be any cool career. What if the female refused? How can you make a female have a baby and not get to decide if she wishes to keep it herself?

Another mishap is I never really could "connect" with Tania until towards the ending because she really came off as sounding more like a teenage boy than a young girl. It thru me off and kept the story from flowing as well as it should have.

As I mentioned about some holes in the story there were also some places that I could have done without...like all the musical jibber jabber. I mean I get she was in a band and they played gigs but I didn't care to know about the beats, cues, and ect...

There were times I wanted to just put the book down and leave it be but if at all possible I hate to DNF a book so I trudged on and while it did pick up towards the end and tie up and explain a few things I still couldn't give it more than a 3-star rating. With that being said I still look forward to more works by Mr. Powell.

0 comments:

Post a Comment