Friday, June 26, 2015

Review: Burning Blue by Paul Griffin

Synopsis: How far would you go for love, beauty, and jealousy?

When Nicole Castro, the most beautiful girl in her wealthy New Jersey high school, is splashed with acid on the left side of her perfect face, the whole world takes notice.

But quiet loner Jay Nazarro does more than that--he decides to find out who did it. Jay understands how it feels to be treated like a freak, and he also has a secret: He's a brilliant hacker. But the deeper he digs, the more danger he's in--and the more he falls for Nicole.

Too bad everyone is turning into a suspect, including Nicole herself.

Goodreads Page

My Thoughts: I didn't think I would like this as much as I did but I found myself immersed in the pages and couldn't finish it fast enough. I guess I just went into it feeling like I "knew all the answers" about who done it and so forth but boy I was smacked in the face royally when the actual culprit is revealed! I totally did not see that one coming!

I figured it would be another "geek boy in love with high school princess" story but it was so much more. In fact it hardly had much romancy stuff in it. It was more a mystery of who done it and why which was very refreshing.

The characters were very down to earth every day folks which made them easy to relate to. I didn't think I would like Nicole because I figured she would be the basic obnoxious drama queen who only cared about how she looked and if she broke a nail it would be the end of the world but it was refreshing to find out how much she hardly cared about her looks and how mostly it was her mom who had always pushed her into doing beauty pageants and so forth.

The story is told from Jay's point of view with a few of Nicole's journal entries mixed in. Jay has always felt like an outsider or freak and knows how Nicole must be feeling about now because of losing her perfect appearance so he decides to do his own investigative work to figure out who the perp is. He soon realizes his job is not gonna be easy because almost everybody is a suspect meanwhile Nicole begins to have feelings for Jay because he is the first person in her life to seem to like her and be nice to her simply to be nice and not because she is beautiful or rich or whatever.

Very quick fun read!

0 comments:

Post a Comment