Thursday, January 26, 2012

Review - The Great Hamster Massacre by Katie Davies

The Great Hamster Massacre by Katie Davies
Released: May 3, 2011
Publisher: Beach Lane Books
Age Group: Middle Grade
Pages: 208 pages
Format: Hardback
Source: Publisher
Rating: 2/5
Author Site: Katie Davies


I am really kind of on the fence over this book. On the one hand it was a quick child's story, told thru the "language" of a child, about finally getting a pet hamster and all the responsibilities of taking care of a pet but on the other hand I found it quite graphic as it paints a significant picture of the deaths of past pets and even a section that made me want to puke when they dug up a dead animal to rebury it more proper. It was just ewwww. Maybe I am wrong in feeling as I do but I just dont think it's a story that should be geared towards children ages 8-12.

There's not much else I can comment on except it's a book about death, pets, and children's investigations. Which I enjoyed the little investigative parts where the kids go in search of who killed the hamsters but still...it's just a bit much. Just not something I am ready for my kids to tackle right now. It's a shame to because the book itself is just so darn cute. It's made up to look like a spiral bound investigative note pad and when you open it up towards th spine inside is printed up to look spiralbound as well. The drawn illustrations were really cute to.

0 comments:

Post a Comment